Having a FORTIFIED roof during hurricane season provides numerous benefits and can help protect your home from hurricanes and other severe weather events. The states of Florida and Alabama have already seen the success of this outstanding and innovative construction technique, and Louisiana is now following suit, and building and re-roofing FORTIFIED.
How is a FORTIFIED roof different from a conventional roof?
Construction Standards. FORTIFIED roofs are built to specific construction standards established by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety – or IBHS – an independent, non-profit research organization. These standards are designed to increase the roof’s resilience and ability to withstand severe weather events – like hurricanes.
Enhanced Materials. Stronger roofing materials, such as impact-resistant shingles for hail-prone areas, greatly strengthen the roof. These and other enhanced and superior materials are specifically chosen for their ability to withstand high winds, impact from debris, and other hazards associated with severe storms.
Improved Attachment Methods. Roof damage very often starts when the wind gets underneath the edge of the roof. FORTIFIED roofs employ advanced attachment methods to secure the roof to the underlying structure. This involves using ring-shank nails, additional fasteners, adhesives, and other construction techniques that reinforce the connection between the roof and the rest of the building.
Water Intrusion Protection. When high winds damage your roof and the shingles, tile, etc. are gone, the wood beneath is exposed and water begins to pour into the home, leaving devastating results. FORTIFIED roofs create a sealed roof deck, incorporating added layers of protection against water intrusion. This includes using high-quality underlayment, proper flashing around vulnerable areas like roof penetrations (such as chimneys or vents), and advanced sealing techniques. These measures significantly reduce the risk of water damage to the interior of the home during heavy rainfall associated with hurricanes.
Strengthened Design Features. FORTIFIED roofs may have specific design features to increase their resistance to wind and other hazards. These can include features like stronger roof decking, bracing, reinforced trusses, and other structural enhancements. These design elements contribute to the overall strength and resilience of the roof.
How Do We Know FORTIFIED Works?
In their multi-million-dollar research center in South Carolina, IBHS spent decades studying the damage caused to homes by hurricanes, tornadoes, and other severe weather events. They tested full-size homes to realistic storm conditions including wind-driven rain, hail, and hurricane-force winds up to 130 mph. They learned what the common weakness was among the damage – the conventional, standard roof. They then spent years finding the answers to this destructive problem and tested it until they perfected it. The FORTIFIED roof was born.
Here are the top reasons why you should consider having an IBHS FORTIFIED roof:
1. Enhanced Wind Resistance: IBHS FORTIFIED roofs are designed to withstand high wind speeds commonly associated with hurricanes. They undergo rigorous testing and are constructed to resist strong uplift forces and wind-driven rain. This can greatly reduce the risk of roof damage or even complete roof failure during a hurricane, keeping your home safe and secure.
2. Improved Water Intrusion Protection: One of the most significant risks to your home during a hurricane is water intrusion. IBHS FORTIFIED roofs are built with additional layers of protection and then sealed, preventing water from entering your home. This helps minimize the potential for water damage, interior destruction and mold growth.
3. Increased Durability: FORTIFIED roofs are constructed using high-quality materials and installation techniques that exceed standard building code requirements. This makes them more durable and resilient to the impact of flying debris, falling branches, and hail during hurricanes. With a stronger roof, your home is better prepared to withstand the forces of nature.
4. Insurance Discounts: Many insurance companies offer discounts or incentives for homeowners who have a FORTIFIED roof. By investing in a FORTIFIED roof, you may qualify for lower premiums or other cost-saving benefits. This can help offset the initial investment and make it a financially advantageous choice.
5. Enhanced Home Value: A FORTIFIED roof can significantly increase the value of your home. Prospective buyers are often willing to pay a premium for properties with added protection against natural disasters. Having a FORTIFIED roof demonstrates that your home is built to withstand hurricane-force winds, making it an attractive selling point.
6. Peace of Mind: Perhaps the most important reason to have an IBHS FORTIFIED roof is the peace of mind it brings. Knowing that your home has an extra layer of defense against severe weather can alleviate the stress and worry we are all familiar with during hurricane season. A FORTIFIED roof can also protect homes in tornadoes up to an EF-2. You can feel confident that you’ve taken proactive measures to protect your property and the safety of your family.
7. Money Savings: Applicants who qualify may be eligible for a low monthly payment program through NEIF, the National Improvement Energy Fund, when installing energy efficient and resilient home improvements (like a FORTIFIED roof) through a NEIF approved contractor, making FORTIFIED a very affordable option. It is a super-easy and quick process and is helping homeowners get new FORTIFIED roofs installed right now in our area.
Houses built or re-roofed to the FORTIFIED standard are stronger and more substantial than any construction technique previously utilized in the United States. And they are best prepared to handle the hurricanes that will undoubtedly come our way. Allied Xteriors is not only a certified FORTIFIED installer, but also an approved contractor with NEIF. We are so excited to be helping homeowners throughout the gulf coast create stronger and safer homes with FORTIFIED, along with affordable funding through the NEIF program. Are you ready to plan ahead and be ready when the next hurricane or severe weather event heads to Louisiana or along the gulf coast? Allied Xteriors is the trusted name throughout the area in residential roofing, commercial roofing, waterproofing and FORTIFIED – and we are here to help. Reach out today and let’s get started.